May 21, 2011

Bitten by insect of Professionalism: Life @ Mumbai version 1.0


Hiiii everyone....
So long......I was just dying to write something on my blog........but the some circumstances were not allowing me to do so. Anyways....I am going to share about my experiences at mumbai.

I still remember the day when I with my friends landed at mumbai. The bus dropped us on unknown road at almost 3 O' clock in the morning. I was half asleep then. I had never imagined that this is how my day will be going to start at mumbai. After some inquiry, I came to know that the place was named Fountain hotel, Ghodbunder road, Thane. I tried to call some of my friends who were already got allocation in mumbai. But, it was three in the morning even ghosts were sleeping, what to say about normal human beings. I saw some auto rickshaws standing nearby, but when I went to hire one, I found that even taxi drivers were fast asleep. What a start of the innings at mumbai. I just told my friends to wait for some time as we don't have any other option.

After an hour of wait syndrome, one friend picked the phone and gave us the address where we had our temporary accommodation arrangements. I hired one auto and told autowala to take us to that address. Whenever you visit any place for the first time, you would be going to face the same villain first that is auto or taxi wala. As soon as they sense that you are new to this place, they 'll start telling you all the stories “This address is very far from here”, “I had not been to this place before”, “Our engine is very old and requires more fuel” , “I am charging you very less”, “Ohh!! so many luggage, you have to hire two autos”. I just wanted to freak out on all these dialogues, but had no other option.

Finally after so much of exasperation I finally reached my friend's flat. The very next I had to face the real challenge of getting accommodation near by my job location. Searching a rented accommodation in mumbai is a tedious job. You have to keep on calling many numbers and each number you called , 'll redirect you to four to five numbers again. Finally at the end of the day, you will find your mobile phone crying “No More Memory left For adding Contacts”.One thing that helped us a lot in mumbai that is “INTERNET”. One of my friend told us to just check out sulekha.com. I just submitted my request at the site and soon started getting calls from all around for accommodations. I finally got an accommodation near Thane Railway Station.


Life at mumbai is very fast. First there you will find huge traffic on roads of mumbai. I kept wandering that from where these many numbers of vehicles are coming. Initially I found very difficult to cross the road. Here you will find each and everyone running for their job. You will find only one expression on everyone's face “I am getting late and I am very busy right now!!!” . 



One of the best thing in mumbai is the “Local Train Service”. The whole mumbai subdivision is well connected. If you get once acquired by the local train links, then whole mumbai would be in your hand. Mumbai local is divided into three lines that is western,central and Harbor line. There is so much rush in the local trains that you have never imagined in your life. The whole train once get jam-packed you will find yourself as a solid substance molecule that struggles for intramolecular space. Even the local train station seems to be so crowded that you will struggle to stand at the platform. I have never seen the station over bridge so crowded before in my life. Many a times I have faced a deadlock situation at station over bridge. People get struck in the crowd and have no other option apart from waiting.

Initially I was not knowing that in which TCS office I will be joining. I had to report at TCS Resource management group, Yantra park, Thane. TCS yantra park office is very nice place. RMG Yantra park redirected us to report to TCS gateway park, Anderi. Process of project allocation at TCS sometimes takes a long time. People after getting release from ILP have to wait for a very long time to get into project. Again this depends on your luck that in which project you are getting absorbed. You can get a foreign client's project or ingenious project. I was the lucky that I got my project allocation on that very day. That was the main place where our fate was going to be decided. Every One from ILP batch got project allocation there. I got “SBI Core Banking Solution” project. I got allocation at Belapur, Navi Mumbai. My room mates got seibel, ion and database management project respectively.

There is still a lot of things that I have to tell you about my job in mumbai. I 'll talk to you later. Have to go. Bye Bye.

Thank you!!!!!!!
Chandan Singh

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi dis is Shalu from ilp hyderabad :
Very thanks for such nice bloggs dat made me aware to many unknown facts.I want to know more about reporting to rmg and how projects are allocated to an individual.

Unknown said...

Hii Shalu,

I am happy that u got some help from dis blog. U will be told about the RMG address where u r supposed to report. The projects in TCS are allocated randomly. Sad but true its totally on luck.